Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Pipettes and related

Okay so I've picked up on the buzz about The Pipettes but I needed to have a good listen to their tracks and particularly watch the stage show on YouTube (check out Your Kisses are Wasted on Me) before I was convinced that they are most definitely a Good Thing.

I don't know what the deal is with retro girl groups at the moment but there are also the Puppini Sisters who are frankly just too arch for me. Musically The Pipettes aren't so much influenced by the past but have borrowed the Tardis and have stolen a whopping chunk of it. In this they have a lot in common with label mates Go! Team although the genre being plundered is different.

Researching the Pipettes lead to all kinds of mad stuff. Ex-member Julia is now in the Indelicates. I saw their eye-brow raising single cover in Rough Trade but it was so exploitative that I thought it was transgression wank. However their Myspace page yields some good stuff. Try the track Sixteen which is spot on.

In addition Gwenno Pippette had a former career as Welsh popstress and her own material is also quite good (she has a tremendous voice). Again MySpace is the place to be. Afterglow is phenomenally good.

No comments: